Monday, August 5, 2013

Self-Checking Clothespin Centers

 I love activities that I can use in centers that are engaging for students and allow them to self-check.  I created these self-checking clothespin centers for very little money, and it was really easy. I took a piece of card stock paper and cut it down the middle to create two separate activities. Using a sharpie, I wrote questions on one side.  The blue center below is an example of an addition center.  I used the sharpie to write answers on a clothespin for each question.  Then I flipped the paper over and wrote the answers next to where the clothespin lines up for each question.  So I have the sums written on both sides of the clothespins.  Students clip clothespins to each number sentence.  When they have finished clipping a clothespin to each question, they flip the card over and check their answers.  Super easy, and students really enjoy doing this activity.



Addition Clothespin Center - There is a letter written on each clothespin because I have more than one of these centers.  The letter denotes to which set the clothespin belongs.

My students enjoyed the clothespin centers so much, I ended up making several for different concepts.  Here is one that I did on green card stock for alphabetizing.  Students start out with a set of clothespins with animal names on it.  They put the pins in alphabetical order next to arrows.  The arrows give them a place to line their clothespins up neatly.  After they believe they have the pins in alphabetical order, they can flip the card over and check to see if they did it correctly. 

Alphabetical Order Clothespin Center - I have several of these alphabetical cards created.  I did these with themes.  The animal names theme is displayed above.  

One of the great things about these centers, besides the fact that they are so cheap and easy to make is that they really engage students.  Students enjoy clipping the clothespins and it is challenging for them to do the activities.  My students will sit and does these for as long as I let them.  Another great aspect is that when students finish, they don't simply say "I'm done! Now what?"  Most of my students will take all the clothespins off and try to do it again to see if they can get faster.  As my students progress, I will let them take a timer with them to the center.  They love it.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment